Monday, December 12, 2011

Refried Beans

Refried Beans

2 cups Dry Pinto Beans
8 cups Water
2 Bay leaves

Add together, bring to boil, turn heat down to medium-high and cover gently boiling for 2 hours.

Then Add

1/4 cup diced tomatos ( diced tomatos, ketchup,spaghetti sauce- all work fine!)

1/4 cup vegetable oil
seasoning to taste ( can use 1 tsp of garlic powder and 1 tsp of onion powder, I have also used red pepper flakes, curry and cumin for great results)

Gently boil about another 1 1/2 keeping covered. Take off heat and remove bay leaves. With a potato masher, mash well and keep stirring beans off bottom as you mash until you have a refried bean consistancy!

Once you make these you will never want to go back to store bought! These are sooooooooo good with a fraction of the oil that is used in commercial brands or other typcial recipes!

2 comments:

  1. I make mine in the crockpot. 3 cups beans, onion cut into quarters, cumin, salt ( I don't measure these I just add), can of diced green chillies, 9 cups water. Cook on high all day. Remove onion when done. Mash with a potato masher or hand held mixer. We love these and it is the only ones we use now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds really good! My boys in the house would love this, my youngest daughter would probably get upset that I am ruining her beans she loves so much! LOL next time I will have to make both at once! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete