Friday, August 3, 2012

Shit on a Shingle

No I did not name it that, actually that term showed up in a booklet for the Army Cook back in the early 1900's!

For the last 2 nights though this is what we ate, also known as a milk gravy and usually made with chipped (dry) beef. I had hamburger patties in the freezer hubby brought home from work so that is what I used.


Shit on a Shingle

5 hamburger patties cut up fine ( or 1 lb ground beef or a package of chipped beef)
1/2 yellow onion
3 T. flour
3 T. butter or margerine
1 tsp. cajun seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups milk
2 to 3 cups water


Saute onions in with hamburger until beef is browned in electric skillet. Drain any grease out and add butter, melting butter and add the flour mixed with seasonings. Slowly add the milk stirring well and then slowly add the water stirring constantly until smooth and the thickness you prefer.

Add this over toasted homemade bread or biscuits!

( the second night I was out of white flour and used rye flour, this turned out just as well. We served it with seasoned corn meal coated fried green tomatos, green beans and fresh sliced up cucumbers!)


4 comments:

  1. My mom made that all the time when I was a kid! So yummy, despite the name, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really yummy Shannon! Even the picky eaters here loved it!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my...when I was a kid, this was our standard Saturday evening meal! Mom used dried beef in hers. That's when dried beef was a cheap fix! Those days are long gone!

    Thanks for bringing back a great memory, Carrie!

    Hugs,
    Mother Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Welcome Connie! While my mother never made it, I do have fond memories of my oldest 2 childrens grandma making it a couple times a week!

      Delete