Friday, June 22, 2012

Falafel Recipe

While it looks like chickpeas are a common ingredient in traditional Falafel recipes, I had to go with what I had on hand and this is how I made them.


3 cups bread crumbs
3 cups chopped fresh collards or other greens
2 green onions chopped
8 ounce cream cheese softened
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
pepper to taste.
2 eggs
olive oil for frying

Place all ingredients in a bowl and with electric hand mixture beat until well blended and smooth.
Shape into 1 inch balls and place in hot oil to fry turning often to brown slightly on all sides. ( about 10 to 15 minutes)



We did find these slightly bland but delicous dipped in Ranch Dressing. Served with corn bread and brown rice.

2 comments:

  1. I have chickpeas in the house can I just add some to your recipe ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to Maureen, I would not see why not, maybe only use half the cream cheese and replace it with the chickpeas or if you keep the cream cheese and it is not firm enough just add a little more bread crumbs so they easily form balls.

      Delete