Monday, August 20, 2012

50# of Oats

We went to Family Farm and Home store the other day and picked up a 50# bag of rolled oats for $19 as even from a feed store, rolled oats are the same rolled oats you buy at Walmart's to eat.  Since I am not that  close to a Sam's Club or Aldi's I figured my next best option to purchase oats in bulk would be at the farm center store.

What this does for us is saves us around $30 of the same amount of old fashioned rolled oats from Walmar'ts and brings the per serving price of .10 cents down to 2.5 cents a serving! Not to mention how long a 50# bag of rolled oats will last us! A great bulk purchase that I was happy to be able to do as we use a lot of oats here.

If we are not having oatmeal for breakfast, I am making pancakes, muffins or breads with them and getting them at a much cheaper cost, this will bring the cost of everything I make with oats, down. A win win situation.

I have read before about getting rolled oats at feed stores among some other things but to be honest just never really think about it. When we went to get the corn for our chickens the other day, it was my adult daughter who reminded me I wanted to check out the prices of their rolled oats.

So it was nice to be able to purchase such a grand quantity of oats at a really decent price and know I saved $30 for a years worth of rolled oats!

Do you purchase rolled oats in bulk? Where do you get them from?

5 comments:

  1. A friend of ours is a farmer who orders in bulk from Dutch Valley Foods. So we always get a 50b bag of oats that way. We also do King Arthur Flour in bulk which is amazingly affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great deal!! I use a ton of oats in cooking,and baking, gonna have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone left a comment on our blog about buying grains from feed stores. It was noted that the products are safe and edible, but a whole lot cheaper.

    It is great to hear that you (and your readers) have successfully tried this out, and we are now inspired to do some feed store shopping ourselves. We have rolled oats every day, and also use it in bread and making granola and lots of other stuff.

    Great post - think of the reduction in packaging, too. Not to mention shopping. Win-win-win...

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Poor to rich,
    we buy oats, barley, rice, dried beans, popcorn, corn meal and wheat flours in 25 to 50 lb. sacks. I shop at a restaurant/institutional supply. Many restaurant supplies will sell to the public. Great way to get good pricing on pantry basics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've recently found the LDS food storage center that has some staples at really good prices. I noticed you were in Michigan, and I found online where there is one in Farmington Hills, MI. I don't know where that is in relation to you, but it might be worth a look. Also, you can find the order form with prices online to know if you'd be interested in what they have to offer. We're not LDS, but it seems most of their centers are open to non-members.

    ReplyDelete