Saturday, September 22, 2012

Food Stamp Challenge Day 5 and 6

Day 5

Breakfast-  Oatmeal with cinnamon and milk

Lunch- Cornbread with Carrot Sticks

Dinner- Black Bean Tortillas with Homemade Flour Tortillas  served with fresh pineapple chunks on the side

                          The blackbeans I simply cooked with a tsp. of garlic and 2 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning and then cut up onions and offered seperatly for those who like onions on their tortillas. ( I also had tomatos cut up from the garden we had on them but this can be omitted if not available)




Day 6-

Breakfast- Oatmeal  ( If available can put a tsp. peanutbutter and 1/2 tsp baking coco in it, but just regular oatmeal if you do not have these items)

Lunch-  Left over black bean tortillas

Dinner- Chicken Stir Fry with cornmeal muffins




Note:  We did buy another gallon of milk yesterday bringing our week total to $47.50 This was managed from loose change in the house.

Day 6 is bringing us quite low on many things, I would be out of flour if I had not started with a 1/2 bag in my cupboard so an additional purchase of more flour would bring the cost to $48.65

It may not be a fancy meal plan but it does fill the belly and nobody has complained they are hungry, they especially liked the black bean tortillas for last nights dinner.

For small snacks my kids have simply enjoyed eating crackers although I have offered to make more muffins, they have a particular liking  for just plain saltine crackers LOL.

IF I had a little more money for this week, I would of liked to offer more fruits for snacking which we usually are able to get throughout the month, just not quite as much this week :)

 

4 comments:

  1. Now that you're almost done for the week, do you have any insights into how someone on SNAP could shop and meal plan more effectively? Is there anything that you bought that you wished you hadn't and put your money elsewhere?
    It's hard for me to imagine doing this, because I have such a different shopping style. I don't shop for 7 days at a time, but shop to fill my pantry and freezer as I find good deals. Then I prepare meals from what I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually shop for 7 days at a time either, usually it is a once a month deal to keep costs down and then just have hubby pick up the odd things like milk as we need it throughout the month when he gets off of work.

      Some months though I just do not have the money and have to shop according to budget such as this month found us really low in the food budget catagory.

      I will do a separate post I think on insights especially since technically those doing this challenge with my size family would of been allowed $140 for the entire week!

      Delete
  2. Does your family not qualify for food stamps or do you choose not to use them? I enjoy your recipes. You are skilled at making good foods for your family when on a stricter budget. We have a family of ten. It is difficult to make things stretch sometimes and we do receive food stamps but they are not enough for everything. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa, thanks for stopping by and commenting. We qualify, we just have chose not to use them however that may change here soon as it is getting to the point, we could use a little help :) A family of 10 is a lot to feed and I can imagine how difficult that must be to stretch things sometimes. I know that last week of the month is usually the worst for us!

      Delete