Saturday, September 22, 2012

Food Stamp Challenge Day 5 and 6

Day 5

Breakfast-  Oatmeal with cinnamon and milk

Lunch- Cornbread with Carrot Sticks

Dinner- Black Bean Tortillas with Homemade Flour Tortillas  served with fresh pineapple chunks on the side

                          The blackbeans I simply cooked with a tsp. of garlic and 2 Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning and then cut up onions and offered seperatly for those who like onions on their tortillas. ( I also had tomatos cut up from the garden we had on them but this can be omitted if not available)




Day 6-

Breakfast- Oatmeal  ( If available can put a tsp. peanutbutter and 1/2 tsp baking coco in it, but just regular oatmeal if you do not have these items)

Lunch-  Left over black bean tortillas

Dinner- Chicken Stir Fry with cornmeal muffins




Note:  We did buy another gallon of milk yesterday bringing our week total to $47.50 This was managed from loose change in the house.

Day 6 is bringing us quite low on many things, I would be out of flour if I had not started with a 1/2 bag in my cupboard so an additional purchase of more flour would bring the cost to $48.65

It may not be a fancy meal plan but it does fill the belly and nobody has complained they are hungry, they especially liked the black bean tortillas for last nights dinner.

For small snacks my kids have simply enjoyed eating crackers although I have offered to make more muffins, they have a particular liking  for just plain saltine crackers LOL.

IF I had a little more money for this week, I would of liked to offer more fruits for snacking which we usually are able to get throughout the month, just not quite as much this week :)