Sunday, September 16, 2012

Joining The Food Stamp/Snap Challenge

I will be joining the Food Stamp/Snap Challenge that starts tomorrow for the whole week that Katy from the Non Consumer Advocate is hosting as an awareness challenge.

Now if you go by the Snap Guidelines this allows for around $4 a person per day and for my family that would be $20 a day or $140 for the whole week. I don't usually spend $140 for any week and before I knew about the challenge, I pretty much spent my grocery amount for the the month which was $100..........the most I can muster up for this challenge would be $30.

Many joining the challenge have well stocked pantries and freezers which one thing I pointed out there was Low Income families generally do NOT have well stocked pantries and run on empty towards the end of the month. Remember my Before Shopping photos I shared back in February? How about my $2 dinner post, remember that one?    These are many times the reality of the working poor or low income households.

Also keep in mind the perspective that those who would have stocked pantries and freezers before disaster strikes deplete them. After job loss or whatever happened to change financial circumstances may be, they start using up their previous stockpile. As it dwindles and panic sets in, they apply for assistance. However many times they have no clue of the time it takes to get the Food Stamps/Snap started such as in my State is 45 days from the time you fill out the application and it gets approved. For many this means they run out of food way before the Food Stamps Kick in.


So keeping this in mind I decided I am joining the challenge from this perspective, while I do have some things already due to my first of the month shopping, it won't exist for the purpose of this challenge. Since all I have is the $30 I want to push myself to see how well I can feed my family of 5 for the entire week. My meals will consist of ONLY what I purchase on that small amount of money and I feel this is fitting considering many on Food Stamps/Snap report running out of money before the end of the month. Regardless of why they run out , is not up to us to Judge their food purchases as we do not know the story behind their purchase and financial choices.

With an all time high and America setting record highs now with 46 Million American Families now on Food Stamps/Snap it is a great time to bring awareness to the challenges of struggling households.
Hunger is a real issue, poverty is a real issue here in America, the numbers are staggering and growing each day. Minimum wage jobs are now not only for the teens and new to the workforce genres, but a real fact for many hard working Adult Americans with families to support.

It is my pleasure to join this challenge with so many others and bring a little awareness to the growing problems families are facing each day.

5 comments:

  1. I'm one of those people with a very well stocked pantry that you write about. You have opened my eyes to a world that, honestly, I don't live in. I very much appreciate what you write.

    This week I'll be donating extra money to our local food bank in your honor. I know you don't use a food bank yourself, but not everyone at your income level has your brains and tenacity, and I want to do what I can to help tide other people over. Thanks for all that you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Miser Mom, I am at a lost for words :) really that means a lot! I must say though that everyone has a different story and some simply can not do what I do becauce of severe health issues or even stric dietary issues. These would make things even more challenging for sure!

      Everyone has their own battles and I am happy you don't live in this world thats a good thing!

      Delete
  2. you make me feel bad...i am eating some popcorn and goin going to have a piece of peach pie in a minite...jsut got home form my job at the hardware store...we ahve a well stocked pantry and freezer...some bought on sale items and lots of canned items...took sixty years to get this far but we are doing lots better then many...the forced retirement and now with two part time jobs we are fine...ronaldj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness don't feel bad! We really live well on what we have and are blessed in many many ways! It does make me be creative but we eat really well and have snacks and treats along the way too, we have never missed a meal and our dishes are pretty tasty so really no complaints! I would love to build up a food pantry but that will come in time! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. this is such a neat thing to do, and something we should all do to remember the people who can't afford three meals a day.

    ReplyDelete