Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Back to the Basics: DIY Laundry




 
 
While most don't sit around dreaming of the good old days in the form of washing laundry out by hand, this is what I have been doing all week! For us it is a savings of $20 a month as I typically hauled it to the laundry mat once a month.
 
For every way I find a way to save a few dollars, I plan on putting the savings up in a sealed jar and ear marking jars for a few certain funds.
 
Here is how I am doing it:
 
1.) I found an old phone line cord I do not need and tied it up in our bathroom indented closet that is the area meant for a washer and dryer to go in our place. I tied it around the middle wood piece that divides the cupboards that is meant for laundry soap and other laundry types of storage. The phone cord fit perfect from one cupboard across to the next forming a very small but usable clothes line for winter drying.
 
This makes it to where I have to wash something daily for my family of 5 BUT I should be able to do it in one day in the summer when I put up an outside clothes line and can hang  a lot more clothing!
 
 
2.) I take dirty clothes and hang them across the line to see how much will fit, when they reach across the line, I then take them and put them in a 5 gallon bucket. This ensures I do not put more in the bucket than I can hang to dry.
 
3.) I put a little laundry soap in and put hot water in, let soak for 10 to 15 minutes.
 
4.) I take a plunger and then plunge the clothes ( the bucket sits in the bathtub to make sure I don't make a mess and for easy filling and emptying of the bucket.  I plunge about 10 minutes.
 
5.) I empty the whole bucket in the tub, then wring the water out of the clothes putting them back in the bucket.
 
6.) I fill with cold water and plunge again about 10 minutes.
 
7.) Again I empty the whole bucket into the tub, wring the water out of the clothes and put them back in the bucket.
 
8.) Fill again with the cold water for a second rinse, plunge 5 to 10 minutes, empty bucket and wring the water out of the clothes really well and hang on the line.
 
9.) I have a large plastic sheet left over from winterizing the windows I cover the floor with under the line to make sure any clothes that may drip, will not ruin the floor.
 
 
The next morning I turn the clothes over on the line and put up when dry and get another batch done to hang.
 
 
No it is not romantic, nor is it convenient but it will save some money and I actually prefer doing them this way for the main point that I HATE going to a laundry matt where I feel like it is 2 hours of idle wasted time. I also hate hauling several bags and baskets all around in blustery cold weather which is NOT my idea of fun.
 
I like doing laundry at home on MY TERMS in between doing other things!
 
This way though does get them just as clean as a $2 washing machine and I don't need the $1.50 per load to dry!

7 comments:

  1. I'm sure your clothes will last much longer, too. I have a washer and dryer at home, but I also have a bunch of clotheslines in the basement. So I don't put my clothes in the dryer, I just hang them on the lines. Not being tossed around in the dryer means much less wear on them. I have a hooded sweatshirt that still looks great and is about 12 years old, for example! I think not using fabric softener is also a big clothes-saver. The only things that I put in the dryer are towels and sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how the cost of the hot and cold water used at home compares to the $2/load at the laundry mat?

    Curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $12 to wash and $8 to dry comes to $20 a month at the laundry mat. I have well water so it costs a little in electricty for the pump but not much as my electric bills are about $33 a month. My water heater is propane so it only takes a little in propane for that and I only use 2 gallons of hot water a day for the laundry. Being on my own well really will not be an increase by doing laundry at home but will be a savings.


      Delete
  3. I assume that either you home didn't come with a washer/dryer o rf it did, it died and you don't have the funds to replace them. I washed my clothes by hand in the bathtub at college, line drying in my tiny single, dorm room. It's hard work, but much cheaper than going to a laundrymat. When I divorced this Summer and moved out of our family home, I looked at rentals, knowing that having an on site washer/dryer would be essential for me at this point in my life (working MOm, hand arthritis). I was able to get a 1 year old GE washer/dryer for $200 cash. Not my preferred brand or style, they work, they are fine. I should be able to eventually sell them for $200 when I get my next home that I own and can move up, appliance wise, should I choose to.

    I wonder a few things:
    -do you have Freecycle? often washers (and dryers) are posted there
    -do you have a used appliance store, even Salvation army? I see washers for $50. What about habitat for humanity-another great source, and they test the machines.
    -your current set up has the rung out to the best of your ability laundry, drip drying inside. What is the laundry nook floor made of? this will make alot of moisture and possibly water on the floor. Do you have a box fan to help dry the clothes?
    -how cold does it get where you live? I'd hang laundry until 40 degrees if I had to.
    -are you saving the $20/month for at least a washer?

    HTH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we live in a rural area so much of what you mentioned is not worth anything such as our freecycle is mostly used for getting rid of unwanted cats and dogs from unresponsible owners.

      I do have a plastic tarp down on the floor so any drippings go on the plastic and not the floor.

      While Before Thanksgiving it was in the 50's and I was hanging them out on my porch rail, it is now in the 20's a tad to cold for me to hang outside ( although my grandma did it all winter for 10 kids but the stories of her bloody hands gives me no desire to do this!)

      We can get below zero here easily depending on the winter but yeah when whether warms up in April or May I can hang outside again.

      No used appliance store really, the one in town charges ridiculous prices. I have heard there is suppose to be a Salvation Army but by gosh I can't seem to ever find it even with mapquest! Besides being in enough rural towns Salvation Army's do not have a whole lot to offer.

      Will I save the $20 for a new washer? To be honest really have not thought about it .....It would increase my electric bill and I really do not mind playing Little House on the Prairie. I have tried a variety of methods over the years and the 5 gallon bucket with a plunger really is not much effort at all.

      Delete
  4. I suggest using your clothes pins and you won't have to turn them and clothes should dry without a turn. I hang shirts on plastic hangers on the door casings. It's annoying during the day but if put up before bed usually dry in the am.
    Sheila - Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  5. For another indoor line drying suggestion, here's a totally free one for you. You need two kitchen chairs (that do not have rounded backs), a broom or mop and hangers. Place the chairs back to back about 4 feet apart. Rest the broom or mop across the chair back tops. Hang your wet clothing on the hangers and hang those on the broom stick.

    ReplyDelete