Saturday, November 3, 2012

Fridge Be Gone!

YUP I DID IT!  Today marks the day I officially UNPLUGGED our refrigerator! I will do regular updates to let you know how this experiment goes for us, at first I was fearful, but now am excited to see how it goes.

I was reading several sites yesterday trying to see how much this may save off our electric bill which looks to be somewhere around the $8 a month mark. To be honest though time will tell as we live in a rental so I really do  not know how old our fridge is, I do know it is not an energy star though.

Not only will we save on our electric bill, but it is a good feeling knowing we are further reducing our carbon footprint!

It is cold outside, even saw a couple of snowflakes so today I took a couple items that were left in the fridge 2 days before grocery shopping day and put them outside on the porch in a cooler with a little ice. This included 1/2 gallon of milk, 1/2 jar of miracle whip, horseradish sauce, some frozen fish, and a frozen smoothie mix.

I can not believe I got the nerve to try this and surprisingly the family is all for it, even our 11 year old daughter exclaimed "Wow what an interesting experiment!"

How cool is that?

Now, what can I do next?

2 comments:

  1. woo-hoo! Wish I could join you in this! I'm looking forward to watching from afar and seeing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thats pretty neat. I never thought of doing that to save money. I suspect it doesn't get cold enough here in Vancouver though, at least not for my frozen items.

    ReplyDelete