Friday, November 16, 2012

No Fridge Update

Well for November we went 12 whole days without the refrigerator and for the most part did not miss it although we did use a cooler ( free ice from hubby's work) for milk and plain yogurt. Eventually I would like to get rid of the cooler as well but not sure if this would work in my family as they do not like almond milk that I could make as needed.

At the end of 12 days however, I did plug it back in, for a couple reasons, one of which I already had wondered about starting it in November.  For one I needed the freezer portion because to be honest I DID NOT want to wait the day before Thanksgiving to get my Turkey while I could get it NOW on sale.

I did miss being able to buy meats on sale to put in the freezer.

The other reason was I had gotten a surprise phone call from our Landlord asking me if we liked Venison. He plans on shooting one for us during this season so I wanted the freezer on knowing I could get venison any day during hunting season but not knowing if or when.

Looking at it from a mathematical stand point, do we want to save $8 off our electric bill or save $40 or more on meat?

The obvious won out.

Knowing December will bring another holiday meal I do not think we will be trying this experiment again until January although I do not know, my family really likes their refrigeration and I really like the freezer portion of stocking up on meats.

Yes I could totally rearrange and change the way we eat, but to me old habits die hard and I do not at this moment WANT to change eating Turkey for Thanksgiving, I LOVE turkey as does the rest of the family!

Yet it was interesting to do the 12 days and I applaud the others that have given it up, I am not really sure that this family wants to give it up as a permanent fixture.

Maybe cheap homemade vegetable oil burning tin can lamps in lieu of electric lights is more up our alley?

But then again I have not given up completly on this project and as I said, perhaps in January we will try again...........

For now I am drooling over the Turkey in my freezer and the possbile venison that will be joining it soon..........

8 comments:

  1. I love turkey as well. Our Thanksgiving is in October here in Canada and thoroughly enjoyed our turkey then.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmmmm I can smell and taste all that wonderful food! LOL yeah I am not sure if I could ever give up Turkey or Ham.....love them both occassionally!

      Delete
  2. I don't really get the 'no fridge' thing. We could all dig holes in the yard and eliminate there, less fested waste in the sewage system/earth damage...but, gotta say lovin' my toilet. Y'know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL if I had my own place which I see more of a "homestead" with alternative energy, I actually would use a composting toilet :)

      The No Fridge experiment really did not bother me at all but did show me how accustomed to it we have become when many other countries go without..... I do admitt though, that I like stocking up on meats when on sale and I can afford them but If I pushed myself, I know I could just form different habits of cooking and shopping.

      Thanks for stopping in and commenting! Comments are always appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Penniless Parenting dot com. Think you're on the same page with her. She's got great $$ saving ways and lives below poverty level. Check her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the link! I checked her site out a long time ago but totally forgot about it so thankou for reminding me, I love her site!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. LOL thanks ronaldj, however one of these day's if we ever were able to have a chat over a cup of coffee, I am sure we both have stories that would double us over in laughter on the things we do or have tried! :)

      Delete