Saturday, November 17, 2012

2 Eggs a Day!



This whole week our ISA Brown hens have been providing us with 2 eggs a day with their brown eggs seeming to finally be regular in egg laying production. We have 3 ISA Brown hens and 1 Araucauna Hen although the Araucauna is not laying yet.  The ISA Browns are known for laying all winter long without artificial lighting which prompted us to choose them.

2 eggs a day for now is plenty for our egg consumption though and will not have need to buy any more supermarket eggs! YEAH this makes me really happy even if it is a small step towards self reliance. We love having chickens even if only a few and in the spring even have plans to plant a small "chicken" garden for them!

I am hoping soon it will go to averaging 3 eggs a day but for now, will make do with the 2 a day, of course it will fun in the spring when I allow them to hatch out a small batch of chicks too!

There is nothing like country fresh eggs!

2 comments:

  1. I'd had chickens for the past five years and I still find it exciting to collect eggs every day. It's a great feeling to have those fresh, fresh eggs and I also love how the chickens keep my kitchen waste to a minimum!

    Are you getting a rooster in the spring? You only say you have the three hens and I'm wondering how you plan to let them hatch eggs without a rooster around to fertilize them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Citygal, we actually have 7 chickens altogether. We have 3 ISA Brown hens and 1 araucauna hen and we have 1 araucauna rooster and 2 Silkie roosters, we had a silkie hen but a coon killed her :(

      I just did not mention our other chickens as this post was only about the eggs :)

      Delete