Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sinful Spending Spree

Well what can I say?

With my mind racing in many ways of everything I need to do and everything I want to do combined with some extra money from tax refunds, I joined the rest of consumers and am certainly guilty of spending! No excuses, it is what is is.

This is a downfall with windfalls of money when you live on such a small income. When money becomes available, you tend to want to purchase things, you have put off forever and a day!

So yeah, yesterday was fun, fun, fun but stressful on how much was spent at the same time! I have no excuse, it just happened and apparently I had no will power to stop it.

It started off by taking kids out to breakfast- we have NEVER taken kids out to breakfast.

Then we took them as a surprise to see CROODS at the movie theatre for discounted tickets and concession price day.. ummmm my 11 year old daughter has only been to a theatre twice, I myself have not been in 9 years.

Those two were not so bad, a morning of fun for around $55 dollars.

Then we went to the farm supply store---------baby chicks, bunnies-----oh how it puts you in the mood to spend! No we did not buy anything live. Instead we bought a 4 foot high, 50 feet roll of chicken wire for our upcoming chicken pen and coop project. We also bought a bag of Diatomaceous Earth for chickens, and well then we bought an incubator with turning trays. This was a bit pricey but on sale.

The incubator is a 3 win for us though- homeschooling projects, hatching batches of chicks to sell AND hatching batches of chickens for butcher.

THEN we went to WALMART and bought a Norton Virus for our computers- I did really need this.

BUT THEN - my daughter reminded us I promised to buy points for XBOX Live so we bought that. Then looking for clothes poles that they do not carry we saw expandable screens so we bought 4 of those. This is due to many windows not having screens and every year we buy something to help cut down on how HOT it gets in here without an air conditioner or shade. The first year we had one fan, last year we had 3 fans, this year the screens to open more windows!

Well it did NOT stop there- I have waited years to replace my love for bird watching but my yard has no where to hang ANY THING so we bought a pole to fit 3 bird feeders on. Then had to buy the 3 feeders and then some bird seed too! This is for my lifting my spirit to  kick cancers ASS project! Oh is that an excuse? ...............................no not really LOL.

I also got a Canning Kettle, replace my long lost waffle maker and got a Food Processor!

So leaving Walmart they gave us a coupon to be able to shop at SAMS CLUB without having to pay the membership fee. This is good until the END of April. Our Food stamps will be replenished in 2 days. Hubby was like we can not go to SAMS club until we get a freezer!

Well my initial desire was to get a used freezer off of Craigslist, buy hubby had a valid argument so we dropped off everything including kids...........

And went to Sears and got a 5.1 cubic foot freezer! It is not really large, it is a fairly small one and we debated on a larger one, but in the past, we never could fill a larger one and my youngest only has 5 years before 18. Once the kids all leave home, it is perfect size anyways not too mention I do live in a small trailer! Combined with the freezer on the fridge , should offer plenty of new food storage option.

This week we will also be purchasing a food dehydrator and clothespole too!

Now as I mentioned, this is not out of our monthly budget or income at all but still it made out for a VERY EXPENSIVE DAY..........but I must admitt, was VERY FUN!

Do you tend to get the SPRING SPENDTHRIFT SPENDING BUG?

9 comments:

  1. good for you.....ronaldj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are being very responsible with your "splurges." I start looking around the yard and thinking about adding new garden beds at this time of year. It is hard to resist over-committing my gardening time and budget every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had money, I could easily spend a million or more just on flowers Linda LOL. I is very hard to resist, I can see where it is easy to overspend or overcomitt on how much time one has for gardening!

      Delete
  3. With everything you are going through, getting things to raise your spirit is good. At least they are things that will last. And, the movie was a good experience. It is not like you do this all the time!

    I bought the smallest self-defrosting upright freezer I could find at Sears. It is almost too small some days. But, you know how much room you have. If you can and dehydrate, you will not need much freezer room.

    Let me recommend the Excalibur top of the line--less than $300. At least get a dehydrator with a thermostat so you can put it on the right temperature. Get one with a timer, too. I think Nesco has one that is nearer $100 and has the same features. You really need the thermostat with numbers, not just high, med, and low.

    Yes, I want things for the yard in the spring. I have seeds, 5 gal buckets, and potting soil and chicken manure. What I need to do is find the birdhouse I need to make, paint it and screw it together. If I paint a few chairs, put together a table from two tables, I will be happy. Oh, I will buy one Petunia Wave. Love that flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation for the food Dehydrator! Too bad your not closer, I have tons of 5 gallon buckets hubby brings home from work! Pentunia Wave is a beautiful flower!

      Delete
  4. I am rally glad that you were able to do this, Carrie! And really, you did buy some very sensible items. Some things that will help you earn money and save money, so that's a win win, I think.

    Yes, sometimes I get overwhelmed by spending, usually right after a holiday or birthday, when I have spent some money that we'd saved up. Then after the occasion it's like I develop budget amnesia, and forget that money has a real value.

    Enjoy all your new belongings. The chick incubator sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many would get overwhelmed when they spend in ways they are not accustomed to.

      Yeah, I am totally excited about the incubator!

      Delete
  5. Good on you, Carrie! Sometimes you just have to spend some cash to save more.

    You have been on my mind and in my heart...I should keep in better touch.

    Enjoy those birds and stuff that freezer, gf!

    Hugs
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Mother Connie! Just keeping me in your thoughts is more than enough! I have been doing good!

      Delete