Sunday, May 27, 2012

White Clover Chocolate Mint Jelly







What are you gonna do when you let your lawn mowing go a little too long and the white clover take over? MAKE CLOVER JELLY!

White Clover Chocolate Mint Jelly

4 cups of white clover blossoms ( just blossoms, no stems taken from a clean area with no pet excrement's, chemical sprays or exhaust fumes)

2 quart pan filled with water to about an inch of the top

1 pouch sure gel ( powdered pectin)

Juice of Half a Lemon

8 Sprigs of chocolate mint

4 sprigs regular mint

5 cups of sugar


Pick clover blossoms in morning from clean area, bring water in 2 quart stainless steel pan to just boiling and turn off. Add clover blossoms and mints, cover and let steep an hour or two. Strain through jelly bag or clean sheet into a large bowl.

Take 3 1/2 cups of the liquid and put back in the stainless steel 2 quart pan. ( Put the rest in the fridge , you can make more batches later with the leftover liquid.)

Add juice of half a lemon , the powdered pectin and 3 cups of the sugar and bring back to boil. Stirring constantly boil 10 minutes. Rapidly add the remaining 2 cups of sugar and boil rapidly stirring constantly an additional 3 minutes.

Pour into hot jelly jars and either put lids on and process or let sit about 10 minutes and put a layer of melted wax on top.


This was a huge hit with the family after wrinkling their noses on my idea to make a clover jelly. Once tasting it though they wanted more..........tastes kind of like a between honey and jelly taste and is just delicious!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds just delicious!! Yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it is! LOL frugal too as the clover is free for the picking and I have chocolate mint growing in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was re-reading this and thinking I should grow some chocolate mint too! Can you send me a link to somewhere so I can see what it looks like and where to buy it? I'm looking up chocolate mint and its giving me a coleus so I suspect I'm doing it wrong. lol

    ReplyDelete