Sunday, June 10, 2012

Minimizing Your Belongings

Andrew Hyde has been getting quite a bit of coverage as he downsized his belongings to simply15 items that all fit into a back pack. This allows him to freely travel and on an extreme level, live a life of simplicity.

This really got me and hubby thinking, if we downsized to simply 15 items a piece, being 30 items between the 2 of us, what would it be? This is a great exercise to really think about what items in your home may be useful. While our lists turned out to be quite different from Andrew Hyde as he is more Urban and we are more wilderness and naturalist types it was a fun exercise.

Here is what we came up with.

My List

  1. Tooth brush
  2. Flint and Steel
  3. Fishing line and hooks (counted as 1 item)
  4. Pocket Knife
  5. Compass
  6. Hiking Boots
  7. T-Shirt
  8. T-Shirt
  9. Jeans
  10. Jeans
  11. Jacket
  12. Gloves
  13. Cast Iron Skillet
  14. Sleeping Bag
  15. Cloth Femine Pads ( if I have not gone through Menopause yet)

Hubby's List

  1. Hatchet
  2. Tooth Brush
  3. Nylon Rope
  4. Hiking Boots
  5. Jeans
  6. Jeans
  7. T-Shirt
  8. T-Shirt
  9. Jacket
  10. Gloves
  11. First Aid Kit
  12. Pick Axe
  13. Sleeping Bag
  14. Canteen
  15. Canteen ( 1 for each of us)

What about you, what 15 items would you have if that is all you could have? We did not include socks and undwear in this list however would have them! We also did not include the Backpacks it fits into as an item.

3 comments:

  1. This has been on my mind lately too. I read a lot of the minimalist blogs and try to scale down too. A post you wrote a couple weeks ago inspired me to donate a bunch of clothes (yay!) I think I'll be pondering this for a few days at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your favorite minimalist blog? So glad to hear my post inspired you to donate a bunch of clothes! Congrats that is fantastic!

      Delete
  2. I like Zenhabits.com and theminimalists.com

    ReplyDelete