Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Snap/Food Stamp Challenge Day 3 : Pina Colada Rice Balls




I know in the photo the look almost the same but the 2 on the left are the Chicken Meat Balls and the 2 on the right are the Pina Colada Rice balls and they were served over bean sprouts and fresh pineapple chunks on the side.

 Pina Colada Rice Balls

2 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple cut in chunks
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 inch piece of ginger root peeled
1/2 can coconut milk
1 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs if needed

Cook brown rice according to package and put in bowl.  In blender add everything but bread crumbs and eggs and puree until pretty much liquified, add to rice and stir well. Place in fridge and chill 3 to 4 hours.  Take out and form in balls, then roll in bread crumbs, if not moist enough place 2 eggs in bowl and whip with fork. Brush egg on rice ball and dip in bread crumbs.

( Honestly this point I am not sure as work called hubby so mine was still warm when I needed to form the balls and I just sprinkled the crumbs on top of the rice ball in my hand. I know it will be much firmer and easier to work with if allowed to chill)

Place on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes  ( the bread crumbs should be a nice golden brown, mine could of been browner but again I was rushing to make sure hubby could eat before an unexpected getting called into work at the last minute)


Chicken Meat Balls

3 chicken breasts Cooked  ( I boil mine)
1 small onion chopped
1 tsp. italian seasoning
1 tsp. prepared minced garlic, or any form of garlic you have on hand
2 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs

I used my blender to grind chicken then place everything in bowl and mix well. Form nice sized meat balls (  about 2 inch sized) and place on cookie sheet . Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.


Serve both these recipes over heated bean sprouts ( 2 cans were enough for my family of 5)
Also serve with rest of the fresh pineapple cut into chunks.



On a side note breakfast was the oatmeal carrot spice muffins again and lunch was tomato sandwiches again, nothing earth shattering!

2 comments:

  1. those recipes look good. I would buy fresh bean sprouts; I didn't know that they could be canned.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie,
    your menu looks very creative this week! Good job with the SNAP challenge!

    ReplyDelete