Monday, October 1, 2012

October-Going Unprocessed!

If you look at a label and you come across something you can not pronounce and is not found in your kitchen, there is a good chance Mother Nature did not make it and a good sign that we should not be eating it.

This is our motto for October, we will not be purchasing any processed foods! In taking care of our health and what goes into our bodies, it could have large potentials for saving money too! So much of what supermarkets carry are processed foods containing chemicals and other harmful things for our bodies.

So for October we will only be doing whole-foods, if we can not make it in our kitchen and do not recognize the hard to pronounce ingredients, we do not buy it.  This also applies to harmful corn syrup products and carmel coloring!

I actually came across a blog dedicated to this asking you to sign the pledge at http://www.eatingrules.com/october-unprocessed-2012/


This may be hard in some ways as we have been raised very much on processed foods and our bodies have learned to crave junk, but I am sure we can do it for one month and see how it goes!

Would you like to join us and go unprocessed for October? Let us know in the comments!

7 comments:

  1. Great plan! We've been slowly implementing this sort of idea in our own house. Real foods. The first two items are real vanilla and real butter ( a bit expensive, so may gradually transition over to butter).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory there is if we do not buy ANY processed foods, then while creating a substantial savings,it will free up the extra such as for real butter , while more expensive will still be over all savings by not buying a lot of other products and sticking to only real foods. Vanilla can be made fairly inexpensive, with vodka and vanilla beans purchased off ebay!

      Delete
  2. GREAT goal! Good luck and have fun with it : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. We dont buy much processed foods to begin with plus both of my daughters and myself are allergic to fructose corn syrup so that makes it even easier. Believe me you dont want to see the three of us walking around in hives :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting! When I look at what I buy, I am disgusted by all the processed foods I typically buy without thinking of whats in it, something I can definatly change although my daughter is not happy at the thought that means no "ramen" for her! LOL

      Delete
  4. We already do this (with the exception of occasional sausage and bacon purchases, and whenever my students have cheetos in class, I demand one as a tax) and have been for several years (basically ever since I started trying to get pregnant-- I was desperate). It really does make a difference-- I have so much more energy and fewer mood swings and things taste sweeter to me after not eating HFCS for a long time. Weight loss also followed.

    Perhaps TMI, but the biggest difference we noticed was in our oldest child's diapers-- the stench is nowhere near as bad with unprocessed food. And I have to think, what is in that processed food that comes out so dreadful and is that something we want to be putting into our bodies in the first place?

    Even though I buy the expensive cheese and butter and most things organic etc., our grocery bill is pretty moderate. If we cut out the fancy stuff (mostly cheese and ice cream) that makes up the bulk of each bill, it would be even lower.

    Hope your challenge is going well!

    ReplyDelete